Via Egnatia

The Via Egnatia was a road constructed by the Romans in the 2nd century BC. It crossed Illyricum, Macedonia, and Thracia, running through territory that is now part of modern Albania, Macedonia, Greece, and European Turkey as a continuation of the Via Appia.

Kokino Observatory

The megalithic observatory Kokino (1800. BC) located at a distance of about 75 km from Skopje and 35 km from Kumanovo. In 2005 NASA from the list of 15 such observatories worldwide, ranked Kokino fourth.

Lake Ohrid

Ohrid Lake is the oldest and one of the deepest lakes in Europe (max depth 288m or 940ft). It is estimated to be 4 million years old and has 200 endemic species that haven’t been found at any other place in the world. It was declared a World Heritage site by UNESCO in 1979.

City of Ohrid

Ohrid is is the largest city on Lake Ohrid and the eighth-largest city in Macedonia. Ohrid is known for once having 365 churches, one for each day of the year, and has been referred to as a “Jerusalem of the Balkans”.  In 1979 and in 1980 respectively, Ohrid and Lake Ohrid were accepted as Cultural and Natural World Heritage Sites by UNESCO. Ohrid is one of only 28 sites that are part of UNESCO’s World Heritage that are Cultural as well as Natural sites.

St. Apostle John the Theologian

Saint John the Theologian, Kaneo or simply Saint John at Kaneo is a Macedonian Orthodox church situated on the cliff over Kaneo Beach overlooking in the city of Ohrid, Macedonia. The church is dedicated to John of Patmos, the writer of Revelation, who has been by some considered to be the same person as John the Apostle. The construction date of the church remains unknown but documents detailing the church property suggest that it was built before the year 1447. Archaeologists believe that the church was constructed some time before the rise of the Ottoman Empire very likely in the 13th century.

City of Ohrid on the cover of National Geographic

Saint John the Theologian, Kaneo along with the city of Ohrid was featured on the cover of the National Geographic as one of 100 places that will change your life.

Alshar Mine

Alshar on Mount Kozuv is the one and only mine in the world that has talium and it’s potential mine with ecological clean energy.

People say that, Alexander the Great army used this material to cover their shields. The sun reflection could blind the enemies for a second which would have been enough for the soldiers to do the finishing move. That was the only reason why Alexander the Great was fighting during the day in all his great fights.

From 2004, this mine is considered as a monument of the nature and part of the Emerald Network.

Samuel’s Fortress

Samuil Fortress is considered one of the largest fortifications preserved in Macedonia. It was first mentioned by the historian Titus Livy in the 3rd century BC, while it was still a fortress in the city of Lychnidos.

As early as the fifth century AD, Ohrid was mentioned by Roman historians as a city with fortresses, which like other Roman cities in the Balkans was defended from the invasions of the wandering tribes, during the great migration of peoples in the IV and V century.

St’s Cyril and Methodius

Cyril  and Methodius were two brothers and Byzantine Christian theologians and missionaries. For their work evangelizing the Slavs, they are known as the “Apostles to the Slavs”. They are credited with devising the Glagolitic alphabet, the first alphabet used to transcribe Old Church Slavonic. After their deaths, their pupils continued their missionary work among other Slavs. Both brothers are venerated in the Eastern Orthodox Church as saints with the title of “equal-to-apostles”. In 1880, Pope Leo XIII introduced their feast into the calendar of the Roman Catholic Church. In 1980, Pope John Paul II declared them co-patron saints of Europe.

Plaosnik

Plaosnik was built by St. Clement in the year 893 on the foundation of an early Christian basilica, and dedicated to St. Panteleimon. It was here that the Ohrid Literary School, a center of Slavonic literary and cultural activity where more than 3,500 disciples were educated and it is considered as the first university in Europe. St. Clement was buried in this church, in the tomb which was built by his own hands. 

St. John the Baptist

Monastery of St. John the Baptist – Baptist. The monastery was founded by the monk John in 1020, and in the XVI century the monastery was destroyed by the Ottoman government restored again in 1743.

There are (supposed) parts of the cross on which Jesus was crucified in the foundations of the monasteries of St. Jovan Bigorski

Šarena Mosque

Šarena Džamija  meaning Decorated Mosque in English but also variably translated as Painted Mosque, is a mosque located near the Pena River in Tetovo, Macedonia. The mosque was originally built in 1438 and later rebuilt in 1833 by Abdurrahman Pasha. Unlike other mosques of the Classical Ottoman period, the Šarena Mosque is more characteristic of traditional mosques in Anatolia, as it was constructed before the conquest of Constantinople, when Byzantine-influenced mosque domes became the standard design.

Kuklica

The geological reserve Kuklica. This reserve is one of only three reserves around the world (the other two are in Chemnitz and Lesbos – Greece). Scientists say that the stone figures were created ten million years ago when there was still no people on the planet. Vertical erosion of volcanic rocks created “puppets” greater than ten meters, which today dominate the tame surroundings. Over time, the nature of these rare carved masterpieces. In the reserve there are 148 dolls, or pyramids of earth.

St Nicholas Church Mavrovo

St Nicholas Church is an abandoned church in Mavrovo, which is submerged in Mavrovo Lake. It was built in 1850 with icons painted by Dicho Zograf and with the construction of the artificial Mavrovo Lake, the church got submerged under water.
Despite being submerged in water, the church has preserved its initial construction. Its bell tower still exists, although the church’s interior is destroyed and the roof has completely caved in. The church was included in the list of abandoned churches published in 2013 by The Huffington Post.

Vevcani Springs

Stretching from the village to an altitude of 2000 meters up in the mountains, the springs run with a combined water flow of 400 gallons per second. The largest one is located at the opening of one of the many caves that you can find in the region. Below, there are ten other minor springs that converge in their flow.

Makedonium

Ilinden, also known as Makedonium is a monument in Krusevo, Macedonia.
It is dedicated to all the fighters and revolutionaries who participated in the Ilinden uprising, as well as soldiers-partisans of the Macedonia National Liberation Struggle 1941-1944.

Opium Flower

The Macedonian opium has 14 morphine units, compared with to Turkey’s 6, India’s 7, and China’s 8, all others have around 3.5 ME, which makes it the strongest in the world. The Opium Poppy or the Breadseed Poppy (Papaver somniferum) is also the Official National flower of the Republic of Macedonia.

Heraclea Lyncestis

Heraclea Lyncestis was an ancient city in Macedon, ruled later by the Romans. Its ruins are situated 2 km (1.2 mi) south of the present-day town of Bitola, Macedonia. In the early Christian period, Heraclea was an important Episcopal seat and a waypoint on the Via Egnatia that once linked Byzantium with Rome through the Adriatic seaport Dyrrachium.

Stobi

Stobi or Stoboi was an ancient town of Paeonia, later conquered by Macedon, and finally turned into the capital of the Roman province of Macedonia Salutaris. It is located near Gradsko, Macedonia, on the main road that leads from the Danube to the Aegean Sea and is considered by many to be the most famous archaeological site in Macedonia. Stobi was built where the Erigon (Crna River) joins the Axios (Vardar), making it strategically important as a center for both trade and warfare.

Krusevo

Kruševo is a town in Macedonia and the name means the ‘place of pear trees’. It is the highest town both in Macedonia and in the Balkans, situated at an altitude of over 1350 m (4429 feet) above sea level.

Macedonia is the world’s first ‘wireless’ country.

Macedonia has become the first country in the world in which wireless broadband is present on it’s entire area.

Bear Stone

Bear Stone is a monument for the Battle of Meckin Kamen occurred on the hill of Meckin Kamen (“Bear Stone”), a few kilometres from the town of Kruševo in present-day Macedonia, on 2–3 August 1903. It was part of the Ilinden-Preobraženie uprising led by the Internal Macedonian-Adrianople Revolutionary Organisation (IMARO or VMARO) against the Ottoman empire.